Saturday, April 5, 2008

dying daily in 1 Corinthians 15:31

From Gordon Fee:

[Paul] elaborates on the continual dangers mentioned in the opening sentence: "Daily* I die." Taken as an elaboration of v. 30, this means something like "On a daily basis I face the reality of death."** Although one cannot be sure as to what this refers specifically, there are several hints in this letter and in 2 Corinthians that his stay in Ephesus was anything but an Aegean holiday. ... What follows comes as something of a surprise. It is a kind of oath, the first word serving as the affirming particle (= "I swear by"),*** and the next words serving as that by which one swears. Literally it reads "I swear by your boasting," which he quickly qualifies as "(boasting) which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord."

- Fee, commentary on 1 Corinthians, p. 820

Gk
καθ' ἡμέραν ἀποθνῄσκω νὴ τὴν ὑμετέραν καύχησιν ἀδελφοί ἣν ἔχω ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ τῷ κυρίῳ ἡμῶν

Gk (xlit)
kath' hêmeran apothnêskô, nê tên humeteran kauchêsin, adelphoi, hên echô en Christôi Iêsou tôi kuriôi hêmôn.

Vulgate
cotidie morior per vestram gloriam fratres quam habeo in Christo Iesu Domino nostro

Wycliffe
Ech dai Y die for youre glorie, britheren, which glorie Y haue in Crist Jhesu oure Lord.

Tyndale
By oure reioysinge which I have in Christ Iesu oure Lorde I dye dayly

Coverdale
By oure reioysinge which I haue in Christ Iesu or LORDE, I dye daylie

Luther
So wahr ihr, liebe Brüder, mein Ruhm seid, den ich in Christus Jesus, unserm Herrn, habe: ich sterbe täglich.

Geneva
By your* reioycing which I haue in Christ Iesus our Lord, I die dayly.

* As though he said, "I die daily, as all the miseries I suffer can well witness, which I may truly boast of, that I have suffered among you."

DRB
I die daily, I protest by your glory, brethren, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord.

KJV
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

YLT
Every day do I die, by the glorying of you that I have in Christ Jesus our Lord:

ASV
I protest by that glorifying in you, brethren, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

RSV
I protest, brethren, by my pride in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

GNT
My friends, I face death every day! The pride I have in you, in our life in union with Christ Jesus our Lord, makes me declare this.

NIV
I die every day--I mean that, brothers--just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NRSV
I die every day! That is as certain, brothers and sisters, as my boasting of you-a boast that I make in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TNIV
I face death every day--yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord.

ESV
I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

WEB
I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

NET
Every day I am in danger of death! This is as sure as* my boasting in you,** which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord.

* Or, more literally, "I swear by the boasting in you."

** Although the witnesses for the shorter reading (Ì46 D F G ? 075 0243 1739 1881 Ï) are not as strong as for the addition of ἀδελφοί (adelfoi, "brothers") at this juncture (? A B K P 33 81 104 365 1175 2464 lat sy co), it is difficult to find a reason why scribes would either intentionally or unintentionally drop the address here. Thus, the shorter reading is slightly preferred.


CEV
and face death every day? The pride that I have in you because of Christ Jesus our Lord is what makes me say this.

GNT
For I swear, dear brothers and sisters, that I face death daily. This is as certain as my pride in what Christ Jesus our Lord has done in you.

Msg
I look death in the face practically every day I live. Do you think I'd do this if I wasn't convinced of your resurrection and mine as guaranteed by the resurrected Messiah Jesus?

No comments: